US Passport Applications and Forms

US passport applications consist of a variety of forms and personal information about the applicant. The forms and supporting documentation you will be required to provide depend on the type of passport for which you are applying. In general when you apply for a passport, you are required to provide some combination of the following information: one or more of the passport forms outlined below, evidence of U.S. citizenship, identification, photocopy of identification for passport, passport photo and applicable fees.

Apply By Mail

If you have a U.S. passport and are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you can use application form DS-82 to obtain your new passport. Simply mail form DS-82 along with your current passport, a passport photo, the passport fee and if applicable, evidence to change name on passport to the address on the form. Your passport will be mailed to you when it is issued.

Apply in Person

US passport applications are accepted in person at passport acceptance facilities and regional passport agencies. If you are applying for your first passport or you are not eligible to renew your current passport by mail, you must apply in person using passport application DS-11. Do not sign form DS-11 until you are instructed to do so by an acceptance agent. In addition to submitting form DS-11, you will be required to provide proof of citizenship for passport (e.g. birth affidavit for passport), your identification, a copy of the front and back of your identification documents, a passport photo and the passport fee.

Add Pages to Passport

If you only have two to four visa pages remaining in your current passport book, you’ll need to add more before your next trip abroad. US passport applications requesting additional passport pages can be submitted using form DS-4085. If you need to add pages to your passport, mail form DS-4085, your current passport and the applicable fees to the address on the form. If you are a frequent traveler, you may want to apply for a new passport book altogether rather than add pages to your existing one.

Change or Correct Passport

If you realize a printing error has been made on your passport, your name has changed since your last passport was issued and you can document it or you want to extend the validity of a limited validity passport, you may be able to use form DS-5504. If you are eligible to use form DS-5504 to make changes to your passport, you must mail the form along with your passport, documentation to support the change you are requesting and a passport photo (if applicable) to the address on the form. US passport applications using form DS-5504 may not be acceptable if your passport is more than a year old. To find out if you are eligible to use form DS-5504, visit the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Report Your Passport Lost or Stolen

No one wants to deal with the hassle of replacing a lost or stolen passport, but sometimes despite your best efforts to protect your passport, that’s exactly what you need to do. To report lost or stolen passport from inside of the United States, submit form DS-64. You can either mail it to: U.S. Department of State; Passport Services; Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section; 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500; Washington, DC 20036 or submit it in person with form DS-11 when you apply for a new passport. As soon as you submit form DS-64, your passport is no longer valid for international travel even if you later recover it. US passport applications to replace lost or stolen passports are accepted at passport acceptance facilities or regional passport agencies.

If you are outside of the United States when your passport is lost or stolen, contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately for assistance.

Provide Minor Consent for Passport

Consent by both parents/guardians is required to obtain a passport for a minor. Typically parents/guardians provide their consent at the time of application by signing form DS-11. However, if one of the parents/guardians cannot be present at the time of application or written consent cannot be obtained from one of the parents/guardians, form DS-3053 must be submitted with the child’s U.S. passport application to obtain a minor passport. Complete item 4a to provide consent for the issuance of your child’s passport if you will not be present at the time of application. Complete item 5 if you are the applying parent/guardian and cannot obtain written consent from the non-applying parent/guardian.

Return From US Passport Applications to Home