Step by Step Guide to US Passport Replacement

Has your passport been damaged, lost or stolen? If it has, you will need a passport replacement before your next trip outside of the United States. But, replacing your old passport can be a time-consuming and stressful process.

Figuring out exactly what you need to do to get a new passport isn’t always easy. Here, you will find a step-by-step guide for replacing your passport.

But, if you’re looking for a stress-free way to get your new passport, you may want to consider using a passport expediting service like Its Easy Passport Service They will handle all aspects of the application process for you.

Damaged Passports

Did the dog use your passport as his latest chew toy? Did your toddler use your passport as the canvas for his recent masterpiece? No matter what the cause, if you have a damaged passport you may be wondering if it is necessary to replace it.

According to the US Government, if the damage is on the cover, the page with your personal information, or if there is water damage, a tear, or markings not related to your travel, you probably need a new one. If you don’t get a replacement, it is possible that you could be denied entry into a foreign country or re-entry into the U.S. So, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

The process for applying for a replacement passport if yours is damaged is similar to applying for a passport for the first time, with one caveat. You must take your damaged passport with you when you apply for a passport replacement.

Lost or Stolen Passports

Did you recently move and forget where you put your passport for safekeeping? Were you the victim of a robbery? If your passport has been lost or stolen, you must report it.

If the loss or theft occurred in the United States, there are three ways you can report it:

  • Call 1-877-487-2778
  • Complete form DS-64: Statement regarding a lost or stolen passport, and mailing it to:
  • US Department of StatePassport ServicesConsular Lost/Stolen PassportSection: 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500Washington, DC 20036

  • Complete form DS-64 and include it with your application when you apply for a new passport

    If your passport was lost or stolen outside of the United States, before you can get a passport replacement, you should contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance.

    After you have reported your lost passport or stolen passport, you can no longer use it to travel even if it is eventually located. Replace your lost or stolen passport In 24 hours

    How to Apply for a Passport Replacement

    Regardless of whether your passport was damaged, lost or stolen, you must apply for a replacement passport in person, so an acceptance agent can verify your identity. You cannot apply by mail.

    If you choose to apply for a new passport on your own, follow the steps listed below:

  • Complete forms DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport and DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. Do not sign the forms.
  • Take the completed, unsigned forms to a passport agency or passport acceptance facility. After you arrive, a representative will have you sign the completed forms.
  • You must provide all of the following when applying for your passport replacement:

  • Your old passport (if your passport was damaged)
  • Proof of citizenship, (e.g. certified birth certificate or a naturalization certificate)
  • Identification (e.g. valid driver’s license, or current government or military ID)
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your identification
  • Passport photo
  • All applicable fees
  • How Long Will it Take to Get My Passport Replacement?

    The average processing time for a replacement passport or (emergency passport) is four to six weeks for routine service with the government, but it can take longer during busy travel times throughout the year.

    Can’t wait that long? Don’t want to deal with the bureaucratic red tape of applying for a new passport? No problem. You can authorize an expedited passport service like Its Easy Passport Service to file a passport application on your behalf.

    If you choose to have “easy service” file your application for you, you will need to appear before an acceptance agent, who will verify your identity and witness you sign the DS-11 form.

    The agent will return the signed form and all of the supporting documentation to you in a sealed envelope, which you will provide to “easy service.” They will take it from there.

    When your passport is ready, you can come to their office to pick it up, or they will mail it to you. With “easy service,” you can have your passport replacement in as little as 24 hours.

    Return From Passport Replacement to Home