How to Get a Passport Record

When a U.S. citizen applies for a passport, a passport record is created and stored in a U.S. Department of State database. These records contain the passport applications of U.S. citizens as well as the supporting documentation they provided when they applied for their passport. An example of the type of documentation you may find in a passport record includes a birth certificate that was used as evidence of U.S. citizenship. The records do not contain information about the applicant’s travel history. Entry and exit stamps are recorded in a passport after it has been issued, and the U.S. Department of State does not track passport usage. If you want to see what is in your record, you can request a copy by following the steps listed below.

Request A Record For You or Your Child

Passport records are protected by the Privacy Act of 1974. Under the law, you may request a copy of your record or your minor child’s record at any time. If the passport was issued from 1925 to the present, you should submit a notarized request to: Department of State; Office of Legal Affairs; Law Enforcement Liaison Division; 1111 19th Street, NW-Room 500; Washington, DC 20036.

You must include the following information in your request or it will not be processed:

  • The name you were given at birth and any changes to your name since then. If you are requesting your child(ren)’s record(s) you must also include the names they were given at birth and any changes to them.
  • Your date of birth and where you were born. If you need to obtain your child(ren)’s passport record(s), you must also include their dates and places of birth
  • Your mailing address
  • Your phone number so a representative can contact you if necessary
  • Your email address if you have one
  • The reason you are requesting the record
  • The date the passport was issued. If you do not know the exact date, you can provide an estimate
  • Your/your child(ren)’s passport number(s). You should also include any information that could be helpful in locating the records
  • A copy of a valid photo ID
  • There is a $50 fee to search for each record you want to obtain. If you are searching for your passport record as well as the records of your two minor children, the cost would be $150. Make sure you include a check or money order made payable to “Department of State” with your request. If you need to obtain a certified copy of your/your child’s record, the certification fee is $50.00 per record.

    Third Party Requests

    In certain cases, you may submit a request to obtain a record for someone other than you or your child(ren). The cost for the search of a third party record is $150 and should be submitted with your request. Make the check or money order payable to Department of State.

    If you are requesting someone else’s passport record, in addition to the items listed above, you must also include one of the following items with your request:

  • Notarized consent from the passport holder
  • Proof of guardianship
  • Death certificate
  • Court order requesting the release of the record
  • If you are requesting the record of someone born 100 years ago or more, your request does not need to be notarized.

    Early Records

    Passport Services does not handle the records for passports issued before 1925. If you are requesting a record associated with a passport issued before 1925, you should send your request to: National Archives and Records Administrations; Archives I; Reference Branch; 8th & Pennsylvania Ave., NW; Washington DC.

    Return From Passport Record to Passport Information