Passport for Infant is it Required

The short answer is yes. You’ll need a passport for infant if you are planning to take your little one with you on your next trip abroad. All U.S. citizens, including infants, must have a passport for international air travel. But getting one may not be as easy as you think. In an effort to protect children from being taken out of the country illegally, the requirements for obtaining a child’s passport are more stringent than obtaining one for an adult. You’ll need to make sure you follow the application instructions carefully to prevent any delays in the processing of your infant’s passport application. Here’s what you need to know.

Apply in Person

You must apply to get a passport for infant in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency. You must complete form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport and take it with you to apply. Do not sign the form until you are instructed to do so by a passport acceptance agent.

Provide Supporting Documentation

In addition to your infant’s passport application, you will be required to provide several additional documents to prove your child is a U.S. citizen, confirm your relationship with your child, verify your identity and provide your consent to get your child’s passport.

Citizenship. You may submit the following documents as evidence that your child is a U.S. citizen.

  • An undamaged U.S. passport
  • Certified birth certificate that includes both parents’ names
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Relationship. When you apply for a passport for infant, you may submit any of the documents listed below to show you are the child’s parent or legal guardian. Any foreign documents that are provided must include an English translation.

  • Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate with both parents' names
  • Child’s Report of Birth Abroad with both parents' names
  • Adoption Decree with adopting parents' names
  • Court Order establishing custody or guardianship
  • Identification. You must present a valid form of identification at the time of application and submit a photocopy of the front and back of both parents’/guardians’ identification documents. The following are acceptable forms of identification when applying for a passport for infant:

  • An undamaged U.S. passport
  • Naturalization certificate
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Current city, state or federal government employee ID
  • Current military ID
  • Consent. In most cases, both parents must give their consent before a child’s passport can be issued. If both parents are present at the time of application, they can provide their consent by signing Form DS-11. For additional information about what to do when both parents cannot be present at the time of application or when only one parent is required to give consent, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

    Fees and Photo

    You will be required to pay all applicable fees and provide a passport photo of your infant at the time of application. The cost for a passport for infant is $105 for a traditional book, $40 for a passport card and $120 if you apply for both.

    Application Processing

    It takes the same amount of time to process your infant’s passport application as it does to process yours. That means you can expect to receive your infant’s passport within four to six weeks of applying if you choose routine service and two to three weeks if you choose to have your infant’s passport expedited through the U .S. government. However, it can take longer when application volume is high, so it’s best to apply well in advance of your scheduled trip. If that’s not possible or you planned your trip with little time to spare, a passport expediter like “easy service” can help you get a passport for infant in as little as 24 hours if necessary.

    Professional Expediting

    With so many requirements to get an infant’s passport, it’s easy to make a mistake. But, making a mistake could result in a delay you can’t afford. A passport expediting service can help ensure your application is complete and accurate, so there won’t be any delays. When the expediter receives your infant’s application, a representative will personally deliver it to the U.S. Passport Agency, so it can be processed. After the passport is issued, the expediter will overnight it to you or you can pick it up at their office, whichever works best for you. When a passport for infant is issued, a parent must sign it on behalf of the child. On the signature line, one parent must print the child’s name and sign their name. In parenthesis, write either mother or father depending on who signed for the child.

    Return From Passport for Infant to Childs Passport