Passport Errors How Do I Correct Them?

When you receive your passport it’s very important that you check it immediately for passport errors. Even if you completed the required forms correctly and provided all of the supporting documentation necessary for obtaining a passport, it is still possible that a mistake could have been made when your application was processed. If you discover an error, you will need to have it corrected before you travel.

Corrections can be made at any time as long as your passport is still valid. You can choose to send your passport back to be corrected on your own, but if you’re scheduled to travel soon, you may want to use a professional expediting service like “easy service” to get your passport for you.

Submitting Your Passport to be Corrected

If your name is misspelled or your date of birth is incorrect on your passport, you must submit the following items to the address listed on form DS-5504 to have the passport error corrected:

  • Form DS-5504 (Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction and Limited Passport Book Replacement Form). Be sure to sign and date page one of the form.
  • Valid Passport
  • Documentation to support the correction you are requesting. For example, if your birthdate is incorrect, you may submit a certified birth certificate showing your correct date of birth. If the error is a misspelled name, you may submit a certified birth certificate or marriage certificate, whichever is appropriate, to show the correct spelling of your name.
  • Passport Photo (if applicable). You only need to submit a new passport photo if your passport is more than 90 days old. If your passport is less than 90 days old, no photo is required.
  • When Will I Receive My Corrected Passport?

    When you’re preparing to travel, sending your passport back so the passport errors can be corrected is one of the last things you want to do. The government recognizes this and as a result, passports with printing errors are given priority. According to the U.S. Government, it usually takes about two to three weeks to process corrections when a printing error has been made, but it can take longer depending on the volume of applications that need to be processed. There is no charge to correct passport errors as long as you request routine processing.

    Need it Sooner?

    If you are traveling in less than two weeks and can’t wait for routine processing of your passport, you can go to a regional passport agency to have your passport errors corrected. However, there are only 24 agencies in the country, and they are located in large metropolitan areas.

    To get your passport corrected at a passport agency, you must make an appointment before you arrive. Usually, you will get your passport the same day, but there are no guarantees. So, what should you do if you do not live near one of these agencies and traveling to one is not practical.

    If you need your passport corrected quickly, but can’t get to a passport agency, a passport expediting service like “easy service” can help. Professional expediters are licensed by the U.S. Government to hand carry passport applications to the U.S. Passport Agency.

    They will work directly with the passport agency to ensure the corrections for the passport errors are processed quickly and your passport is returned to you when you need it, so you don’t have to change your travel plans. And, if you have any questions while you’re waiting for your passport, they are available to answer them.

    When your passport is complete, they will overnight it to you. Or, if you prefer, you can pick it up from the expediter’s office. The choice is yours. When you work with a passport expediting service like “easy service,” to correct the errors on your passport, you don’t have to deal with the extra stress of fighting the crowds and dealing with the bureaucratic red tape at a passport agency.

    You won’t lose sleep wondering if you will have your passport in time for your departure. Instead, you will have peace of mind knowing an experienced professional is working to ensure the passport errors are corrected quickly, so you can get your passport back and leave as scheduled.

    Return From Passport Errors To Obtaining A Passport