Passport Applications Explained

Passport applications are the key piece of the passport puzzle. If you leave a space blank, provide an incorrect piece of passport information or forget to sign your name, your application will be returned to you, and you will be required to resubmit it. It is important that you provide all of the required information when completing your application to prevent delays that could force you to change your travel plans. The requirements for submitting a passport application vary based on the applicant’s individual circumstances. Below you will find important information about the different application requirements.

Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

Submit form DS-11 if you are a first time applicant; your previous passport was damaged, lost or stolen; you are under 16 or you got your last passport when you were under 16; your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or your name is different than the name on your current passport and you can’t document your name change. Passport applications using form DS-11 must be submitted in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency. Do not sign your application form until you are instructed to do so by a passport acceptance agent.

Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail

You can use form DS-82 to apply for your passport by mail if your current passport is not damaged and it can be submitted with your application; you were at least 16 when your current passport was issued; your current passport is no more than 15 years old; and your name is the same as the name on your most recent passport or you can document your name change. Passport applications using form DS-82 can be mailed with a current passport, passport photo, the applicable fees and documentation of a name change (if applicable) to the address on the form.

Form DS-4085: Application for Additional Visa Pages or Miscellaneous Passport Services

If you have less than two to four blank pages in your book and your passport is still valid, you can request additional pages using form DS-4085. To have pages added to your passport book submit form DS-4085, your current passport and the applicable fees to the address on the form. Be sure to sign and date the form. Passport applications that are not signed and dated will not be processed. If you travel extensively you can apply for a new book instead of requesting additional pages for your existing passport. To apply for a new book, you must use form DS-11 or DS-82, whichever is applicable.

Form DS-5504: Name Change, Data Correction and Limited Passport Book Replacement Form

If your passport is less than a year old, use form DS-5504 to make the following changes to your valid passport:

  • Change your name if you can legally document your name change
  • Extend the validity of a limited validity passport
  • Correct a printing error
  • If your passport is more than a year old, you may not be eligible to use form DS-5504. See the Bureau of Consular Affairs website for additional information.

    Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport

    Passport applications with form DS-64 are used to report lost or stolen passports. After you report the loss or theft of your passport, it is no longer valid. If you are applying for a new passport, you can submit form DS-64 with your application. If you are not applying for a new passport, but want to report your missing passport, you can mail form DS-64 to: U.S. Department of State; Passport Services; Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section; 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500; Washington, DC 20036.

    Form DS-3053: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under 16

    If you are applying for a minor passport, you may be required to submit from DS-3053 with your application. Passport applications must be submitted with this form to provide parental consent for the issuance of a passport to your child if you cannot appear at the time of application. This form should also be completed if you are applying for a passport on your child’s behalf and you cannot get written consent from the non-applying parent.

    Return From Passport Applications to Passport Information