Passport Application DS-11

Passport application DS-11 is just one of the forms you may be required to submit when you apply for a U.S. passport. The U.S. government has developed a variety of forms that can be used to obtain or renew a passport or make changes to an existing one. The form that must be submitted depends on the type of passport for which you are applying, and it must be submitted in conjunction with a variety of additional information, including proof of U.S. citizenship, identification, a passport photo and the applicable passport fees. Individuals who are required to submit form DS-11 to obtain a passport must do so in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency.

Who is Required to Use Passport Application DS-11?

You must use form DS-11 if any of the following statements apply to you:

  • You are a first time applicant
  • You are under 16 or your most recent passport was issued before you turned 16
  • Your last passport was lost, stolen or damaged
  • Your most recent passport is more than 15 years old
  • Your last passport was issued in a different name, and you can’t document your name change
  • What Supporting Documentation Do I Need to Submit?

    If you are using form DS-11 to obtain your passport, you must submit the following documentation with it:

  • Proof you are a U.S. citizen
  • Identification
  • Photocopy of your identification
  • Passport photo
  • Passport fees
  • There are additional requirements for minors under the page of 16. For more information about minor passports, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

    How do I Complete Passport Application DS-11?

    When completing Form DS-11, you will be required to provide a variety of information about yourself and your travel plans, including:

  • Personal Information. Examples include your name, address, date of birth, place of birth, contact information, social security number, parental information and marital status.
  • Appearance. This information is used to help verify your identity and includes your hair color, eye color and height.
  • Travel plans. You will be asked to include information about where and when you are traveling.
  • Emergency contact. Include the name of someone who is not traveling with you who can be reached in case you experience an emergency while you are traveling abroad
  • Passport Photo. Make sure your photo meets all government requirements and carefully follow the instructions about attaching it to your application.
  • It is very important that you provide all of the required information. If you incorrectly complete application DS-11, it will not be processed. Instead, your application will be returned to you, and you will have to re-submit it.

    IMPORTANT: Do not sign form DS-11 until you are instructed to do so by a passport acceptance agent.

    How Long Will It Take to Get My Passport?

    When you apply for your passport at a passport acceptance facility, you must choose to have your passport processed using routine or expedited service through the U.S. government. U.S. passport applications that are processed using routine service are usually issued four to six weeks from the time of application. If you choose expedited processing, you can get your passport more quickly—usually within two to three weeks. However, these are only estimates. It can take longer for applications to be processed when volume is high. If you apply at a passport agency using passport application DS-11, you will usually receive your passport the same day you apply.

    Passport Expediting

    If you can’t wait the two to six weeks it will take for the government to process your application, and you can’t get to a passport agency to have your application processed, there is another way to get your passport quickly. You can authorize a professional passport expediting service like “easy service” to apply for your passport on your behalf. Passport expediters are registered with the U.S. Department of State to hand deliver passport applications to the U.S. passport agency. When you work with a professional expediter, you can have your passport in as little as 24 hours if you have urgent travel plans.

    When you use passport application DS-11 to apply for your passport you must appear before an acceptance agent who will verify your identity and witness you sign the form. You can find an acceptance agent at one of the more than 9,000 passport acceptance facilities in the country. After you sign your application, the agent will place it and your supporting documentation in a sealed envelope. Simply mail the envelope to the expediting service, and they will take care of the rest. When your passport has been issued they will mail it to you directly. When you work with a professional expediter, you can rest easy knowing you will have your passport when you need it.

    Return From Passport Application to US Passport Applications