Obtaining a Passport

Are you interested in obtaining a passport for your next trip? If you’re planning to travel outside of the United States and you need to add pages to a passport, apply for a new passport, second passport or get a passport card, it’s best to do so long before you’re scheduled to leave. Applying for a passport, especially if you’ve never had one before, can be confusing.

If you want to make sure you get it right the first time, so you don’t experience any delays, an expert like “easy service” can help. “Easy service” is familiar with the most recent passport requirements and can help make sure you have everything in order before you apply, so you don’t have any problems during the application process. Below you will find information about securing your passport. Please keep in mind there are additional requirements for minors under the age of 18.

Applying by Mail

Obtaining a passport by mail is only possible if all of the following statements about your most recent passport are true:

  • It is not damaged
  • You were 16 or older when it was issued
  • It is less than 15 years old
  • The name on your passport is your current name. If the passport is not in your current name, you can legally document your name change
  • To apply by mail, you must submit the following information:

  • Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail. Be sure to sign and date the first page of the application
  • Your most recent passport
  • Passport photo
  • Passport fees
  • If your current name is different than the name on your passport, you will also need to provide documentation of your name change when obtaining a passport
  • Applying at a Passport Acceptance Facility

    If you are not eligible to apply for your passport by mail, you must do so in person. You must apply in person if:

  • You have never had a passport
  • You are under 16 years old
  • You got your most recent passport when you were under 16 years old.
  • Your last passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • Your most recent passport was damaged, lost or stolen
  • You need a name change passport because your current name is different than the name on your passport, and you can’t document your name change
  • Many post offices, libraries and other government offices across the country are authorized to accept passport applications.

    When obtaining a passport in person at a passport office in your area, you must submit the following information:

  • Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. Do not sign the form until a passport acceptance agent tells you to do so
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Proof of identity
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your identification
  • Passport photo
  • Applicable fees
  • If your passport has been lost or stolen, you will also need to complete Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport.
  • Applying at a Passport Agency

    If you’re traveling in less than two weeks and you need your passport before you go, you can apply at a regional passport agency. However, obtaining a passport at one of these locations is not practical for many people because there are only 24 throughout the country, and you must make an appointment before you go. Usually you will receive your passport the same day, but there are no guarantees.

    If you choose to apply at a passport agency but are eligible to apply by mail, you must submit all of the documents listed under Applying by Mail. If you are not eligible to apply by mail, you must submit all of the documents listed under Applying at a Passport Acceptance Facility. You will also be required to submit proof of travel and an expediting fee in addition to the regular fees when obtaining a passport at one of the regional passport agencies.

    How long will it take for my passport to be issued?

    According to the U.S. government, the average processing time for routine service is four to six weeks, and the average time for expedited service through the government is two to three weeks. But, it can take much longer particularly if you are applying from January-July when application volume is typically high.

    Can’t Wait That Long?

    If you don’t have time to wait for routine or expedited processing through the government, or you just don’t feel like dealing with the hassle that comes with obtaining a passport, you can get a professional expediter like “easy service” to help. An expediting service can usually have your passport for you within 24 hours if you have urgent travel needs.

    A representative from the expediting service will work with the U.S. Passport Agency to secure your passport on your behalf, so you won’t have to worry about whether or not you will get your passport on time. And if you find passport errors after your passport has been issued, the expediter will work with the Passport Agency to fix them.

    Return From Obtaining A Passport To Home