Affidavit Regarding Change of Name on Passport

In most cases, when you need to change your name on passport, you must provide legal documentation of your name change, such as a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or a court order. But if a person’s name has not legally been changed and these documents are not available, an affidavit regarding the name change (form DS-60) must be submitted with the person’s application to change the name on their passport. This form should not be submitted in place of legal documentation that supports a name change. It should be submitted only if the documentation does not exist.

Who Completes the Affidavit?

If you did not change your name through a formal court proceeding or marriage, someone who has known you by both names must complete an affidavit regarding your name change. To change name on passport, the person must confirm that you have used your current name exclusively for at least five years. Whenever possible, a blood relative should complete the affidavit, which must be submitted with your passport application.

Applying for a Name Change Using an Affidavit

U.S. passport applications that include an affidavit regarding a change of name must be submitted in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency.

You will be required to provide all of the following information at the time of application:

  • Form DS-11. Do not sign it until you are instructed to do so by a passport acceptance agent
  • Form DS-60 Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name
  • Three or more public documents that show your assumed name is the only name you have used for at least five years. NOTE: If you are unable to obtain three public documents, you may submit a second affidavit in place of one of the public documents to change name on passport.
  • A photocopy of the front and back of the identification of all individuals completing form DS-60
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  • A current, valid form of identification
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your identification
  • Passport fees
  • Passport photo
  • Acceptance of your name change is at the discretion of Passport Services. They will use the evidence you present to make a final determination about the name that will appear on your passport.

    Processing Time

    If you apply for your passport at a passport acceptance facility, you will generally receive your passport two to six weeks from the time of application depending on the type of service you choose. When you apply to change the name on passport you will be required to choose routine or expedited service. Routine processing takes approximately four to six weeks and expedited processing takes two to three weeks.

    However, it can take longer for you to receive your passport during peak application times throughout the year. If you apply for your passport at a regional passport agency, your passport will usually be issued the same day you apply.

    However, there are only a handful of passport agencies throughout the country, and they are located in large metropolitan areas. If you don’t live within driving distance of a passport agency, applying at one probably isn’t an option.

    Can I Get My Passport Faster?

    If you need to change a name on passport quickly and you cannot go to a passport agency to apply or you don’t want spend an entire day standing in line waiting for your passport to be issued, there is another alternative.

    You can authorize a passport expediting service like “easy service” to submit your application on your behalf. Professional passport expediters are authorized by the State Department to hand deliver applications to the U.S. Passport Agency, so you don’t have to.

    Since you must apply for your passport in person when submitting an affidavit to change a name on passport, you will need to appear before a passport acceptance agent before sending your application to the expediter.

    Acceptance agents work at more than 9,100 passport acceptance facilities across the country, so finding one should not be difficult. When you appear before the agent, he/she will verify your identity and instruct you to sign form DS-11.

    The agent will put your application form, the affidavit regarding the name change and all other required documentation in a sealed envelope that he/she will give to you. Simply send the envelope to the expediting service, and they will take care of the rest.

    A representative from the service will submit your application to the passport agency. When your passport has been issued it will be picked up from the passport agency and mailed to you. Don’t let a change of name on passport stand in the way of your travel plans. When you work with a professional expediter, you can be sure you’ll have your passport when you need it.

    Return From Name on Passport to US Passport Applications