How to Renew an Expired Passport

If you have an expired passport sitting in your drawer, you should renew it as soon as possible. This is especially important if you frequently travel outside of the country, but it’s also a good idea even if you only travel occasionally. You never know when you might need a current, valid passport and it’s better to be prepared than to miss out on a trip abroad because you couldn’t renew your passport quickly enough. Plus, when it does come time to plan your next trip, it’ll be one less thing you have to worry about it. If you do find yourself with a last minute trip just around the corner and you need help renewing your expired passport quickly, a passport expediting service like “easy service” can help.

The process for renewing a passport that has expired is similar to the process for renewing a passport that has not expired. In many cases, U.S. passport renewals can be handled by mail, but in some circumstances, you will be required to apply for your new passport in person. Below you will find additional details about how to renew your passport if it has expired.

Renew by Mail

You can renew an undamaged passport that has expired by mail as long as it can be submitted with your application, and the following statements are true: it is less than 15 years old; it was issued when you were at least 16; and it is in your current name or you can legally document your name change.

To renew your expired passport by mail, send form DS-82, your most recent passport, a passport photo, the applicable fees and your name change documents (if applicable) to the address on the application form.

Passports can only be mailed to addresses in the United States or Canada. If you do not live in the United States or Canada, you should visit the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate to renew your passport.

Renew in Person

You must renew your passport in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency if:

  • Your most recent passport was lost, stolen or damaged
  • You are under 16 or your current passport was issued when you were under 16
  • Your current passport is more than 15 years old
  • Your current name is different than the name on your passport and you cannot legally document your name change.
  • To renew your expired passport in person, follow the instructions outlined below:

  • Complete form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport, but do not sign it. To replace your passport, take the completed form to a passport acceptance facility or passport agency where an agent will let you know when you should sign it.
  • Provide proof that you are a U.S. citizen
  • Present a valid form of identification
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back of your identification document(s)
  • Pay the appropriate fees.
  • Submit a passport photo
  • Receiving Your Passport

    When you apply by mail or in person, you can expect to receive your passport within two to six weeks of submitting your application. In general it takes four to six weeks to process an application to renew an expired passport when the applicant chooses routine processing and two to three weeks when the applicant chooses expedited service through the U.S. government. However, it’s important to remember that it can take longer during peak application times throughout the year. You will want to factor this into your timeline for renewing your passport.

    In a Hurry?

    If you have urgent travel plans, and you can’t wait the two to six weeks it normally takes to process a passport application, a passport expediter can help. Professional passport expediting services like “easy service” can usually get your passport within 24 hours if necessary. Expediters are registered with the U.S. Department of State to hand deliver passport applications to the U.S. Passport Agency. Simply send your application and the required documentation to the service you choose and they will submit it to the passport agency on your behalf. When your application to renew your expired passport has been processed and your passport has been issued, the expediting service will overnight it to you or you can pick it up at their office. Working with a professional expediting service takes the worry out of renewing your passport. You can be sure you’ll have your passport when you need it, so you won’t have to delay your travel plans.

    Return From Expired Passport to US Passport Renewals