Emergency Passport Renewal Guide

An emergency passport renewal can keep your travel plans from being ruined. The average time it takes to process applications for U.S. passport renewals is four to six weeks. But when your travel plans are imminent and your passport is expired, you can’t wait that long. If you’ve just realized you need to renew your passport and your trip is right around the corner, there are two ways to get your passport quickly, so you don’t have to delay your departure. When you’re traveling in less than two weeks, you can either apply in person at a passport agency, or you can have a passport expediting service like “easy service” get your emergency passport renewal for you. Below you will find additional information about both options.

Passport Agency

There are 24/25 regional passport agencies across the United States that will take your application and issue your passport for you. If you want to apply at a passport agency, you must make an appointment. When you arrive for your appointment, you will need to submit your application as well as the supporting documentation that is required to process your application.

If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, you need to submit form DS-82, your most recent passport, a passport photo and the applicable fees. If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you will also need to provide legal documentation of your name change to get your emergency passport renewal.

If you are not eligible to renew your passport by mail, you must apply as if you are applying for your first passport. That means you will be required to submit form DS-11, proof of U.S. citizenship, a valid form of identification, a photocopy of the front and back of your identification, the applicable fees and a passport photo.

A representative from the passport agency will take your application materials and submit your application for processing. In most cases, you can expect to have your passport the same day you apply, but there are no guarantees. With only 24/25 passport agencies in the country, getting an emergency passport renewal at one of them is probably not practical for most people. If you do not live near a passport agency, or you just don’t want to deal with the hassle of standing in line most of the day to submit your application and wait for your passport to be processed, you can choose to have a professional passport expediting service take care of the details for you.

Passport Expediting

Professional passport expediters are registered with the U.S. Department of State to hand carry passport applications to the U.S. Passport Agency for processing. When you authorize a passport expediting service to apply for your emergency passport renewal on your behalf, they will deliver your application to the passport agency for processing, so you don’t have to.

Here’s what you need to do to get the process started:

1.)Place your order with the passport expediting service. Expediters typically have various service levels based on how quickly you need your passport. If necessary you can usually get your passport within 24 hours. Choose the one that is most appropriate based on your travel plans.

(2.)Complete your application form and gather all of the documentation you are required to submit with your application.

(3.)Overnight your application materials to the passport expediting service to get your emergency passport renewal.

After you have completed those three simple steps, your work is done. A representative from the expediting service will take care of the rest. When your passport is issued, they will either overnight it to you or you can pick it up at their office. You will have your passport when you need it, and you won’t have to lose sleep wondering if you will have to delay your travel plans because you don’t have a valid passport.

NOTE: If you are not eligible to renew your passport by mail, you must appear before a passport acceptance agent to have your identity verified before you can submit your application for your emergency passport renewal to the expediting service. Acceptance agents work at thousands of local passport acceptance facilities across the country. To find a passport acceptance facility in your area, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Return From Emergency Passport Renewal to US Passport Renewals