China Tourist Visa

Traveling to China for some sightseeing? You will need to obtain a China tourist visa before you go. China requires all U.S. citizens to have a travel visa when they arrive no matter how long you are staying. However, the type of visa you need to obtain depends on why you are traveling. If you are planning a trip for personal reasons such as taking a much needed vacation or visiting friends and relatives, you need a tourist visa. If you are traveling for a different reason, you will need to obtain a different type of visa. Without the proper visa, you won’t be allowed to enter the country, and you will be fined, so it is very important that you obtain the appropriate travel documents before arriving in China.

U.S. citizens can get a single, double or multiple entry China tourist visa good for six or 12 months. If you are a Chinese American who was born in China or a Chinese citizen’s spouse or child with a valid U.S. passport, you can get a multiple entry visa for 24 months. If you are planning to travel to remote areas of China, like Tibet you may also need to obtain a special permit in addition to a visa. In addition to needing a visa to enter the country, you are required to have one to exit the country. If your visa expires while you are traveling, you must obtain a new one before you will be allowed to leave China.

China Tourist Visa Requirements

U.S. citizens must provide the following information in order to obtain a China tourist visa:

  • A completed visa application form
  • A valid U.S. passport with at least six months validity and one blank visa page remaining. You will also be required to provide a copy of the information page
  • If you are a first time applicant who is a former Chinese national, you must submit your original Chinese passport. If your name has changed, you must also provide documentation of your name change
  • Individuals whose former nationality was Chinese must submit their old U.S. passport (if they have one) in addition to their current U.S. passport if there is a Chinese visa in it
  • If you are a Chinese citizen’s spouse or child and you have a U.S. passport and you are applying for a multiple entry China tourist visa for 24 months, you must provide all relevant documentation, including a marriage certificate, birth certificate, kinship certificate or other documentation as appropriate. You should include the original and a photocopy.
  • A 2x2 recent color photograph
  • In addition to the items listed above, children of Chinese descent born in the US must also provide the following:

  • If the child is applying for their first visa, they must submit the original and a copy of the following: one parent’s passport or green card and birth certificate
  • If the child has previously been issued a Chinese visa, they must include a copy of their previous visa
  • Submitting Your Application

    You must submit your application for a Chinese tourist visa in person. Applications cannot be submitted by mail. You do not need an appointment, but you do need to apply at a Chinese Embassy or Consulate. If you are unable to apply in person, you can have someone else submit your application for you. When you apply for your visa, you can choose regular, express or same day service. There is no extra fee for regular service, and you can expect to receive your visa within four days. For a $20 fee, you can choose express service and get your visa within two to three days. If you choose same day service, the fee is $30 and you will receive your visa within one day.

    You must pay for your visa when you pick it up. The cost of a single, double or multiple entry Chinese tourist visa that is valid for six, 12 or 24 months for American citizens is $140. Payment can be made by Visa, Mastercard, money order, cashier’s check or company check.

    Need Help Securing Your Visa?

    If you are unable to apply in person, or you don’t want to deal with the hassle of applying in person, you can have someone apply for you. One of the quickest and easiest ways to secure your visa is to authorize a professional visa service like “company name” to submit your application for you.

    Visa services are well-versed in the entry and exit requirements of nearly every country in the world. When you work with a visa expediter to get your Chinese tourist visa, they will guide you through the application process to ensure you have met all of the requirements, so there are no delays processing your application. They will deliver your application to the embassy or consulate on your behalf, pick up your visa when it’s ready and mail it to you. You won’t even have to leave your home, and you can be sure you’ll have your visa in time for your trip.

    Return From China Tourist Visa to Travel Visa