Childs Passport

All children, regardless of their age, must have a childs passport for international travel. But obtaining a passport for infant or child may be more complicated than you realize. To get a passport for minors, there are additional requirements that do not apply to adult passports.

All children under the age of 16 must apply in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency even if they have previously been issued a passport. In addition, both parents/guardians are usually required to accompany their child when applying for a passport on his/her behalf. Below you will find additional information about what is required to get a passport for your child.

Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

Complete form DS-11, but do not sign it. A passport acceptance agent will have both parents/guardians sign the form when you appear in person to apply for your childs passport.

Click here to download form DS-11

Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must provide evidence that your child is a U.S. citizen when you apply for a passport on his/her behalf. Documents that will be accepted as proof of citizenship include an undamaged U.S. passport; a certified birth certificate; a consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth; a naturalization certificate; or a certificate of citizenship.

Evidence of Relationship

You will be required to show proof that you are the child’s legal guardians and therefore have the right to apply for a passport on his/her behalf. The following documents may be submitted as evidence of your relationship to the child: a certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate or report of birth abroad with both parents' names; an adoption decree with the adopting parents' names; or a court order establishing custody or guardianship.

NOTE: If you provide foreign documents as evidence of relationship when applying for your childs passport, you must include an English translation.

Identification of Parent/Guardian

Both parents/guardians must present a valid form of identification and a photocopy of the front and back of the identification documents. Acceptable forms of identification include an undamaged U.S. passport; a naturalization certificate; a valid driver’s license; a current city, state or federal government employee ID; or a current military ID.

Parental Consent

In most circumstances, both parents are required to provide consent before a passport can be issued. This is usually done by signing form DS-11 in the presence of a passport acceptance agent. However, in some cases, both parents may not be required to provide their consent for a childs passport. For additional information about these special circumstances, visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.

Applicable Fees

There is an $80 application fee and a $25 execution fee for a minor passport book. The cost of a minor passport card includes a $15 application fee and $25 execution fee. If you apply for a minor passport book and card at the same time, you will be charged a $95 application fee and a $25 execution fee.

Passport Photo

You must submit a 2x2 color photo of your child printed on high quality photo paper when you apply for a childs passport. Your child must be facing forward with his/her eyes open.

16 & 17 Year Olds

Children who are 16 or 17 years old are required to follow the passport application process for first time adult applicants. However there are a few special requirements. If the minor does not have a valid photo ID, a parent or guardian can present their ID on the minor’s behalf. In addition, the minor is required to show parental consent before a passport can be issued.

Children’s Passport Renewals

Passports that are issued to children under the age of 16 are good for five years and cannot be renewed. When a child’s passport expires the child and his/her parents/guardians (if applicable) must re-apply for another passport as if they were applying for the first time.

Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program

The CPIAP is designed to prevent international child abductions. It allows parents and other individuals acting on behalf of a minor to receive notification when a passport application is filed in a child’s name.

Passport Expediting

In general, it will take four to six weeks from the time of application for your child to receive his/her passport when you choose routine processing. If you choose to have the application expedited through the U.S. government, you can have his/her passport in two to three weeks. However, it can take longer during peak application times throughout the year.

If you need your child’s passport faster, a professional expediter like “easy service” can help. When you work with an expediting service you can usually get your passport within 24 hours if you have urgent travel plans. Passport expediters will apply for your passport on your behalf, so you can focus on preparing for your trip.

Return From Childs Passport to Home