Birth Affidavit for Passport DS-10

A birth affidavit for passport is one way you can establish U.S. citizenship. Whenever you apply for a passport whether you are applying for the first time, renewing an existing passport or replacing a lost or stolen passport, you must provide documentation that shows you are a U.S. citizen in order for your application to be processed. There are two types of documents that can be used to verify your citizenship—primary evidence and secondary evidence. Whenever possible, you should use primary evidence to show you are a U.S. citizen. However, if you do not have primary evidence, secondary evidence may be used. A birth affidavit is one type of secondary evidence that can be presented to establish your citizenship when it is submitted in conjunction with early public records.

How is Form DS-10 Completed?

Unlike many of the other forms that are submitted with U.S. passport applications, a birth affidavit for passport is not completed by the applicant.

Instead, it is completed by someone who has personal knowledge of the applicant’s birth in the United States. In addition, it:

  • Must be notarized
  • Must include information about how the person completing the affidavit knows the applicant was born in the United States
  • Should be completed by a blood relative whenever possible
  • Must be accompanied by documentation confirming no birth record exists
  • Must be accompanied by a photocopy of the front and back of the identification of the person completing the affidavit
  • Click here to download form DS-10

    What Are Early Public Records?

    The affidavit alone is not acceptable evidence of U.S. citizenship. A birth affidavit for passport must be submitted with early public records to establish U.S. citizenship.

    Early public records are non-confidential documents that show the applicant’s name, birthdate and place of birth. Examples include:

  • Baptismal certificates
  • Hospital birth certificates
  • Census records
  • Early school records
  • Family bible records
  • Doctor's records of post-natal care
  • Whenever possible, you should submit records created before your fifth birthday.

    How Do I Submit Form DS-10?

    If you are using form DS-10 as evidence of U.S. citizenship, you must submit it in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency. You must also submit the following:

  • Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport. Do not sign it until a passport acceptance agent instructs you to do so
  • Documentation that no birth record exists
  • A photocopy of the identification of the person who completed the birth affidavit for passport on your behalf
  • Early public records
  • Your identification
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your identification
  • Passport photo
  • Passport fees
  • Will Using Form DS-10 Affect When I Receive My Passport?

    It does not matter what documentation you use to establish your U.S. citizenship. The time it takes to process your application does not change. However, like any application, you must make sure that you have properly completed all of the required forms and provided all of the necessary information. If there are errors on your application or you are missing information, it will be returned to you, resulting in a delay regardless of whether you submit a birth affidavit for passport or some other documentation to establish U.S. citizenship.

    If you apply at a passport acceptance facility and choose routine service, you will receive your passport in approximately four to six weeks. If you choose expedited service, you will receive your passport within two to three weeks. Keep in mind these processing times are estimates only. It is possible that it will take longer for you to receive your passport, especially if you apply when application volume is high. If you apply at a passport agency, you will usually receive your passport the same day you apply.

    What if I Need My Passport Faster?

    If you need your passport quickly, and you cannot apply at a passport agency, you can have a professional passport expediting service like “easy service” apply on your behalf. If you are using a birth affidavit for passport to establish U.S. citizenship, you must first appear before a passport acceptance agent to have your identity verified and sign form DS-11 before you can send your application to the expediter. After you have signed the form, the acceptance agent will put all of your application materials including your birth affidavit in a sealed envelope. You must provide this envelope to the expediting service. When they receive it they will deliver your application to the U.S. passport agency, so you don’t have to. After your passport has been issued, they will overnight it to you, so you can be on your way. If you have urgent travel plans, a professional expediter can usually secure your passport within 24 hours if necessary.

    Return From Birth Affidavit for Passport to US Passport Applications